Friday, September 16, 2011

Umm - thanks for the invitation but, umm - not going to go to this meeting

Wow.  I get a lot of what one could call "Conference SPAM" with invitations to meetings that seem like nothing more than feedlots.  But this one really takes the cake:

Dear Dr. Eisen JA.
It is with great pleasure that we invite you to attend the EPS Montreal International Gene Conference to be held November 3-4, 2011 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The conference will provide a forum for researchers in Genetics and Genomics to present cutting edge research and learn about the latest breakthroughs and technologies.
We would like to welcome you to our Conference as our valuable speaker and present your recent work and ideas of Environmental shotgun sequencing: its potential and challenges for studying the hidden world of microbes. that were published in PLoS Biol.. Please visit our website at www.epsglobal.ca  and www.epswordlink.com for program details. 
Montreal International Gene Conference is organized by EPS Global Medical development Inc. Professor Massaro, the editor-in-chief of the journal Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics (CBB) will be present at this event and call for submission of papers in this field. All of the papers presented in the conference may have a chance to be published in a special issue of Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics (CBB). 
EPS Global Medical Development Inc. is a Canada-based biomedical consultant agency that promotes continuing academic education, knowledge transfer and scientific exchange through life sciences-oriented conferences. We are delighted to host the EPS Montreal International Gene Conference in Montreal in order to foster and promote excellence in Genetics and Genomics through education and research, and to provide leadership in promoting development of evidence-based clinical genetics and genomics as well as the basic research that supports these clinical advances. 
We look forward to meeting you in Montreal and wish you all an enjoyable time. 
Warmest regards,
Yao Lu, MD, PhD

Executive Chair of Montreal International Gene Conference 2011
President of EPS Global Medical Development Inc.

They are inviting me to present about a "recent" commentary paper I published in 2007.   Umm - no thanks.

11 comments:

  1. LOL. Just deleted that same e-mail. It was a 2008 paper in my case ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's see how far they go back

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two such invitations today. First for the 'EPS Montreal International Gene Conference' and then for the 'EPS Montreal International Diabetes Conference', both emails cited the same 2008 paper (on 'long introns').

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was special! 2003 in my case: Optimal alphabets for an RNA world

    ReplyDelete
  5. I note - I have previously written about conference spam ... see here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brendan Maher just sent me this link about a prior conference that seems to fit the SPAM category well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got two invites but 2008 and 2011

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought going to Montreal would be fun, but then again I don't like rewarding spammers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got an invite too. I actually asked to see if they would cover expenses....big surprise not even registration was covered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My paper that they cited was published in 2002!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I thought I was special. Seemed suspicious that they wanted me to present a paper I'd written on Nuclear abolition at a Genetics conference.

    Who is sending this stuff?

    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...